Smoke that paper!... I mean, write that paper... or yeah... awkwarrrrd

I'll start off with the fact that moving to Colorado was quite the change for me.  Yeah, the food is different, there seems to be an over abundance of Subaru Outbacks on the road, and... oh yeah, weed.  I seriously hot box in my truck when I drive down Broadway!  I'm sure all you Denver locals know what I'm talking about.  So let's relate this back to mental health.  There are quite a few directions I thought of taking this post, but decided to just go with it and see what happens.  Does substance abuse belong in mental health?  There is an overwhelming amount of evidence suggesting that it does!  But, does substance use belong in MH?  I turn to the medical model when faced with this dilemma, but even that does not present a clear answer since it is hard for me fully invest in it.

Who believes in the medicinal use of THC? "Whoa whoa whoa! Did he just say 'believe'?"  Why yes I did!  This is one of the most prominent memories of thought I have from when I first arrived in Colorado.  Not even the medical model provides a clear response to this, which makes the uprising in addiction treatment even more rowdy!  Furthermore, should addiction be considered a diagnosis?

Another topic that comes to mind is the debate as to weather substance abuse should be referred to as "addiction" or "dependence".  Working with substance abuse clients in has drastically changed my view of this argument... And by "changed" I mean I don't really know what to think anymore.  It's like walking up hill in both directions.  F*** it!  I'm taking the elevator.

This is a short entry, but would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.  Specifically those relating to experiences you might have had when marijuana was legalized.  Also, here is some music for you!  The song is called Sonne (meaning "Sun" aus Deutsch!) by Rammstein.  To my understanding, it's basically a poetic depiction of the fall of the Berlin Wall, but blankets it by comparing Germany's political state at a time to a drug over dose Just something to think about! Enjoy:)


No comments:

Post a Comment