Good thing "that" happened

Hello everyone!  Well, I've always been one to journal, but never one to make it public.  Freedom of thought is a hobby of mine and I'll do my best to walk you through some of those that have a related depiction of mental health and how it is viewed by society today.  Oh, and by the way you should probably be ready for some humor, sarcasm, and possibly some bad grammar /syntax here and there. Hopefully it keeps you on your toes!  Here we go!...

So, today was my first day paying a visit to what is hopefully going to be my internship site!  It is equivalent to a psychiatric hospital, which for whatever "crazy" reason (probably the lamest play on words ever) I have always dreamed of working in.  I'm fascinated with everything about it!  From the methods of treatment to the facility's structure itself!  But why?  Why am I so enthralled by something that has been viewed as inhumane, torturous, dark, scary, dangerous, unkept, creepy, sketchy, dirty, unhealthy, and whatever else Hollywood has worked so hard to make us believe?  Well, lets be honest, because that actually happened.  Lobotomies, imprisonment, restraints, the whole nine yards!  You name it, humans have done it!  Yay! Aren't you proud to be a part of such an innovative species?  Ok, a little dark sarcasm there, but look how far mental health and medicine have come!

Ok, back to it, so after I get past the second set of bolt doors to enter the facility, my heart is beating with excitement, but then this thought hits me!  What if this were 60 years ago?  Would I have been walking into what I've seen in movies?  How accurately did that History and Systems of Psychology textbook describe this stuff?  You guys know what I'm talking about.  Would there be some guy behind bars talking about how his pet chair taught him how to cook roman noodles with a box of Fruit Loops and a button?  Were Fruit Loops even a thing back then?!? Don't worry, there were no bars, no "crazy" guy talking to himself, turns out there were just people.

Mental Health would not be where it is today without history, even though that history breaks my heart when it comes to mind. I'll stop there for today... Good thing that happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment