Psychosis as a weapon.... lock and load!

So when you think of psychology, psychosis, psychiatry, psychotic, psych-name a suffix, what words comes to mind?  Might some be "crazy", "insane", "my mother"?  At least in some contexts, that's what pops into my head, but is that string of thoughts really just a harmless string of thoughts?  Guess what, thoughts are powerful, especially in numbers! And you're not the only one thinking this way.  It is hard for me not to see what is happening in mental health as revolutionary warfare over how it is defined.  What is real?  What's the right word?  How bold/grey should the diagnosis line be?  "But my client only has 2/5 required symptoms when they need at least 3! Ugh, just one more symptom, that all we need!"  It's like an endless well of stairs that's avoided because everyone just takes the elevator.  I know we are all guilty of that!  Especially when you just picked up your pumpkin spice latte (PSL) at Starbucks (SB) and have a giant stack of papers regarding today's client load. Seriously, you don't want to spill your PSL, nor do you want to drop your client's paper work, so why fight it right?  Sorry for being a bit poetic, but this is war!

I came across this idea out of the blue today at Starbucks, so not only is the PSL reference appropriate, but it also got me to think that what if we are not "treating" mental illness?  What if we are at war with the natural course of evolution?  I have heard "humans will be the end of themselves" in every biological evolution course I have taken and I have found it super-dooper hard to integrate the idea into psychology (I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on this).  So what questions does this make you think of?  I want to say that mental health treatment is right in its cause, but is it right in its direction?  Should mandated treatment be a thing?  Should natural development be included in a person's autonomy?  I don't know why I keep hitting on the gray areas of psychological health practice, as I did last time, but deal with it!

Alright, lets step back from the deep existential thought.  Aside from my epic love for PSLs, I also have a love for helping others just like many of us in this field.  However,  when I think of this as a war and mental health diagnosis as a weapon, things change a little.  I feel uneasy, hesitant, and just.... blah.  Know what I mean jelly bean?  (Yeah, that rhymes)  I'm not sure how this might affect my work as a counselor.  Is it better to have a firm belief and direction in this regard?  Or is it better to remain open in some/all cases?  Ahhh!  I'm going to explode!  I shouldn't have gotten that extra shot of espresso at SB today.


No comments:

Post a Comment